Profiles, Sports

Teacher by day, she’s a winning bodybuilder

29 Comments 18 May 2011

Ladawn McDay, bodybuilder and teacher, in her classroom

Ladawn McDay, teacher and bodybuilder, in her classroom.

By Mirvat Chammout and Samira Maatouk

There are bodybuilders all over he world, and they come from many kinds of jobs. One of the best in the world is Ladawn McDay, a special education teacher at Ella Fitzgerald Elementary School in Detroit.

McDay, 37, attended Wayne State University. She said, “I got interested in bodybuilding from watching it for years on TV and being around competitors gave me the urge to compete.”

McDay won second place in the National Physique Committee’s National Bodybuilding Bikini and Figure Championships in 2009.

McDay’s biggest accomplishment was at the 2010 International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness North American Championship, where she placed eighth in North America.

“If some competitors don’t see results, they lose the urge to keep going,” said McDay. “I believe that bodybuilding is a sport often ignored by girls because of the negative thoughts of the use of steroids.”

My favorite part of body building is the individual posing routine because it shows that I am an individual and I am not being compared to the group.”

McDay has a very busy schedule. She goes to the gym at 5 a.m. and trains with Team Infinity. She works out on the weights for one hour and does her cardiovascular routine twice a day and walks at work during lunch.

She said it took her only 16 weeks to achieve her goal of becoming a bodybuilder.

McDay competes as a light heavyweight, where the weight requirement is 125-140 pounds. She also competes at the national level, for which someone must qualify by winning at the state level.

“I have not yet made money being a body builder due to the fact I have not become a professional,” said McDay. “But I will still be competing for years to come.”

1. Diana says:

Great story Mirvat and Samira

2. Timmarah says:

This is really good, I really like the story!!

3. Mirvat says:

Thank you! Check out my other stories too!

4. mariam alata says:

wow, that’s amazing, good story!

5. hussein says:

Nice to hear the story

6. Mariam C says:

Very intersting story. Thanks for sharing

7. Samira says:

Thanks, everyone! (:

8. Daren says:

Great story!!

9. Dave says:

Really sweet story! I wish her nothing but the best and much future success!!!

10. i like this story you are lucky you got to interview her.
    =)

11. Ali hammoud4th says:

What a tough woman.

12. Wow I was amazed when I read that a women was into body lifting. I was suprised because I thought usualy men are into bodylifting. This is going to change the way I think about women playing a tough sport like football or bodylifting.

13. Sukayna S. says:

This is an amazing story on how a teachers success to become a body builder it going! 16 years is a very long time I know that I would of quick a month in.

14. Ahmed Daher says:

Great story!!

15. Diana says:

Diana – 4th
    This woman is a strong & intellegent person i enjoyed reading this , we should all keep our heads up like her !

16. omggg!!!!! i love thiss teacherr! who knew a teacher can have a body like that… that is prettyyyy cool! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!

17. That’s a lot of muscle. I’m surprised that a girl can do that!(=

18. Fatima Jomaa 4th says:

Wooow, seriously, I never thought a teacher would go into bodybuilding, but i really like this story. Really interesting!!!!!:)

19. Samira Maatouk says:

Thanks everyone for commenting and taking the time to read me and mirvats story!

20. Mirvat says:

Thank you everyone and remember to read my other stories as well!

21. Mas Rieza says:

Great Post! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need! you all do such a great job at such Concepts… can’t tell you how much I appreciate all you do

22. Ali hammoud4th says:

Wow who noes theres a teacher with those guns that a wonderful story have fun!

23. Nabila Alhashedi 1st says:

Amazing, I am proud that we have a teacher who is a bodybuilder. You have to be strong inside out to do that .I just loved your story. I would be good in your class if I was your student lol. Keep up the good work!

24. Nabila Alhashedi 1st says:

I love the this story keep it up Mirvat and Samira.

25. Zeinab Alhacham says:

This Is A Really Amazing Story! I Liked it and I Hope You Keep Doing What You Want And Achieve All The Goals You Want. Im Suprised that It Only Took 16 Weeks To Acheive Your Goal To Become A Body Builder!

26. Ahmed alhashedi 4th hour says:

She said she was not a professional yet, well, she looks like a pro to me. It must take a lot of work for her to look the way she does. It is a bit intimidating for me, as a guy, to see her like that. It goes to show ,how a person’s strong will, can allow them to do anything.This story was very uplifting for me. I will remember this story every time I think of giving up.Thank you very much.

27. ledaniel says:

Mrs.Mcday is my nost favorite teacher…i mite go to that school jest cuz she there

28. ledaniel miller says:

i mite

29. Ali Osman 6th hour says:

This story I feel is a great story on how McDay is a body builder with determination and won 2nd place which is very impressive.
    She inspired me to do better in exercise and that anyone can do anything if you want to. When I read this story, it made me think on how she just saw it on TV and saw competitors and decided to be one that easy. I thought this was a great story and keep up the good work. :)