Profiles

Life without an arm requires courage, effort

13 Comments 09 June 2011

Shaniqa Wilson

By Mirvat Chammout

Life for Shaniqa Wilson is difficult without an arm.

“I was born without an arm but I think it’s better to have a mechanical arm than no arm at all,” said Wilson. “I can’t play sports or swim without a second arm, but I can tie my shoes because my uncle taught me. Sometimes people used to call me names.”

There are lots of people in the world who are missing a limb. The Amputee Coalition, which in April held its first limb loss awareness month, said 2 million Americans are living with a limb loss.

Wilson explained that she was going to get a mechanical right arm and said she was not nervous at all. She said that she would feel much better when she got the mechanical arm. She also said that the doctors are going to attach sensors to her muscles and attach them to the mechanical the arm. “I have to plug it to a battery outlet and it runs 48 hours when it’s charged,” said Wilson.

She said that there would be no surgery and that Children’s Hospital of Michigan and the Michigan Institute for Electronic Limb Development would pay for the arm.

Dr. Edward Drombrowski, from Children’s Hospital in Detroit, met and interviewed them and, hearing Wilson’s story, he thought she was perfect for the attachment of the arm. The is called a myoelectric prosthetic limb.

I also interviewed my uncle, Rachad Khail about having one arm. “I don’t have an arm because I was born without one,” he said.

“No one made fun of me because, if they did, I would beat them up. I had difficulty in middle school in typing class.”

Khail said his parents taught him how to tie his shoes or he taught himself and that he was used to having one arm.

Shaniqua received her prosthetic arm in June and is working on getting used to the extra weight and function of having an extra hand to use. She promises to send a picture of her wearing it soon.

2. Yolanda H. says:

Good morning, my name is Yolanda & I am Shaniqua’s guardian. I wanted to let you know that we really enjoyed the article. Shaniqua told me she enjoyed speaking with you & that she was looking forward to seeing the article. She has truly learned to adapt to life without her right arm & at times she finds it more difficult to function with the prostetic arm than without it.

3. i like this article a lot and it’s very hard for people to not have a right arm because you can’t do some stuff without it, for ex. sports

4. Ali hammoud4th says:

Im very sorry to hear that.

5. Shaniqua,, ur a really pretty girl and i hope your new prosthetic arm helps you out!!<3!

6. Fatima Jomaa 4th says:

Wow! This was an amazing article. It was really interesting to me and i liked it. I hope you’ll feel better with your prosthetic arm. Hope it helps you throughout your life!!!

7. Mirvat says:

Thank you so much for commenting everyone! Remember to check out my other stories that are being published!

8. Nabila Alhashedi 1st says:

I like that you can talk about your arm. It shows how strong you are. Your story helped me realize that We are all lucky to have our arms and legs and also our good health. We should work hard and be thankful for them. We should always strive to be kind and understanding towards others who have disabilities. Thank you Shaniqua, wish you the best.

9. I am really sorry to hear that you have one arm. I hope you like the new arm your getting and i really liked this article but it was really sad :(

10. aterra coles 6th hour says:

I hope you feel better and be strong. I really like how you put this on the school website. Shaniqa, don’t forget your are a very pretty girl and i want you to always remember that.

11. Thanks for your publication. What I want to point out is that while looking for a good on-line electronics shop, look for a site with complete information on critical indicators such as the security statement, security details, any payment methods, and various terms plus policies. Usually take time to browse the help and also FAQ pieces to get a much better idea of how a shop functions, what they can do for you, and the way you can make best use of the features.

12. Hello friends, how is the whoe thing, and what you want to
    say concerning this article, in my view its really awesome desigmed foor me.

13. Paragraph writing is also a fun,if you kjow afterward you can write
    or else it is difficult tto write.