Families

A Smile is Worth A Thousand Words

6 Comments 07 February 2012

By Timmarah Copeland

Beeeeeeep! The heart monitor stopped, as the life of a six-month-old baby came to an end. The memories of him are still alive to this day.

Baby Hussein Beydoun

Hussein Beydoun

Hussein Beydoun, a six-month-old baby, was born with hydrocephalus (hahy-druh-sef-uh-luh’s), which is water in the back of his brain. Some babies are born with the condition. Other people can develop it after a hit to the head or a brain-related disease such as meningitis. One of every 500 children in the U.S. has hydrocephalus, which is sometimes fatal, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Because of this condition, Hussein couldn’t eat, move, talk, walk or smile. There were times when his family wanted to take him somewhere, but couldn’t because of his condition. Another obstacle that he had to face was breathing through a tube that doctors put in his nose.

Tahani Smidi

Tahani Smidi

Hussein died on June 16, 2005, and it really affected the family. “I couldn’t see my brother be buried, plus I didn’t go to school for a week, and the whole time I was crying, and my parents were crying too,” his sister, Tahani Smidi, a 7th grader at Unis, said.

“When I heard about her brother, I felt so bad, and it makes me think what if that happened to my sister, what would I do?,” said Maha Kandilseyed, a friend of Tahani’s. There is not a year that goes by that the family doesn’t commemorate his death. On the anniversary of his death, they wear black, visit his grave, bring him flowers, and remember all the good times that they had with him!

Maha Kandilsayed

Maha Kandilsayed

Even though Hussein did die, there are some good memories. For example, “There was this time I was putting on mascara. I decided to put some on his eyes,” Tahani said, laughing. Also, to show love to him, she made sure to kiss and hug him every day. They cherished every single day with him like it was their last day with him. They took care of him, always remembered him, and most importantly they loved him!

One out of many effects of Hussein’s condition was that, for most of his life, he couldn’t smile. But the last thing Hussein did was smile.

1. aterra coles says:

Omg Tahani I am so sorry to hear that while I was reading i almost started o cry.

2. Alaa Saad 6th hour says:

Tahani I feel so bad for you. And when I read that he smiled at the end I was happy that he smiled and fought off his condition.
    Allah Yerhamo

3. Danny Majed 2nd hour says:

Tahani I feel very sorry for the loss of your brother Hussein Beydoun, and even tho you he had hydrocephalus. The memory of Hussein will live on forever. After I read this story I will never forget him. And im sure that every one else wont forget Hussein.

4. Ahmad Alhaidi says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family have a good life. Remember his good happy life. He smiled and that meant that was one of his best life ever. Good luck.

5. Ahmad Alhaidi says:

Dear Tahani,
    I am sorry for your lost. He lived a hard life. He loved you and your family. He will always be in your heart and you will remember him in your heart. When he smiled i knew that he loved you and your family.

6. Nada Alhamdi says:

I feel so sorry for you Tahani. The story really touched my heart. Great job Timmarah with the story. Keep up the good work!