Issues, Opinion, Religion

Can’t Christians and Muslims get along better?

21 Comments 03 June 2013

Danny Majad

Danny Majad

By Danny Majed

Christianity and Islam are two of the most popular religions in the world, but their followers don’t always get along. Why do people have discrimination against each other due to this?

Terry Jones, a Christian pastor from Florida who came to Dearborn to publicly burn a Qu’ran in the heart of Arab America — he is just making a fool of himself. He hadn’t even read the Qu’ran when he burned it. He talks shamefully about Muslims when he doesn’t know a thing about Islam. Why does he do this? Now, in exchange, some people in Dearborn make fun of Christianity.

But one thing that really stands out in my mind is that these two religions aren’t always at odds. Some followers of each religion respect and care for people from the other religion.

We went to the Islamic Center of America and spoke with its spiritual leader, Imam Sayyed Hassan Al-Qazwini. There is a church that is right next to the Center. On holy days, the leaders of the two religious houses visit each other and respect each other. They even let the people who come to pray use each other’s parking spaces. In my opinion, they are like brothers. They have a very strong relationship even though they have two different religions.

I have a Christian neighbor that my family was very close to before they moved away. Whatever the family needed, we were there for them and they did the same for us. One of my very close childhood friends is Christian. Most of my teachers are Christian. I am Muslim, like most of the students at Unis. The teachers don’t show us disrespect or discrimination due to our race, and we don’t show them disrespect or discrimination due to their race.

That’s the way all people should behave towards each other, no matter what their religion.

1. Mitchel Ayad says:

it makes sense and its true we should be able to get along the tittle is perfect for story. good job!

2. I love your lead and I agree, that we should all treat each other the way we want to be treated…

3. Ahmad Aoun says:

Your right christians and muslims should get along better.

4. Hani Jahaf says:

i like your angle of how Muslims and Christians get along and how you talked about Imam Sayyed Hassan Al-Qazwini

5. Ali Farhat says:

your right i totally agree that muslims and christians should get together just like me and my neighbor we always get along event though were diffrent religions.

6. Muhammad ali kamary-AAB Lebanon- BEIRUT says:

life is very complicated and it might have many questions with no answers.Here in our country we are facing the same thing with the same religions.I personally liked your article and i liked your strong facts.

7. Muhammad ali kamary-AAB Lebanon- BEIRUT says:

life is very complicated and it might have many questions with no answers.Here in our country we are facing the same thing with the same religions.My opinion liked your article and i liked your strong facts.

• Danny Majed says:

Thank you Muhammad for taking the time to read my story, I completely agree that life will have many questions to be with no answer,all that i hope is one day we can all come together to live,pray,and die together.

8. Joumana zantout- AAB- Lebanon- Beirut says:

I strongly believe that one’s religion or personal beliefs are too private to be invaded or argued about. I wouldn’t mind you having a different taste in music or food so why should I mind you having a different religion? I liked your angle Danny and I definitely congratulate you on your article.:)

9. Danny Majed says:

Thank you Joumana for taking the time to read my article, i have had discrimination against me for being a muslim my self, so i thought this article would help tell the world that it is possible for different religions to get along.

10. Kassim Said says:

I like how you tell the truth about what Muslims say about Christian.

11. Saleh Ali 7th grade 7th hour says:

I really like eveything you said about how muslims should get togather and i personally think it’s a great idea.

12. Thank you Danny for the positive attitude you have. I totally agree with you, religion is a personnal choice and we should learn to respect other people’s choices, opinions, and traditions. Religion should never be a barrier between people nor a reason for conflicts and bullying. I am a muslim and one of my closest friends is christian. We get along very well together and respect each other’s religious habits. For example, we exchange Christmas gifts and she doesn’t mind waiting for me when I need to perform one of my daily prayers.

13. Ali Jomaa 7th grade says:

I liked this because everything you said is a great idea

14. Interesting story ;christians and muslims should get along ,so they can live happy life and work to along to make the world a safe place for every one to live.

15. Interesting story ;christians and muslims should get along ,so they can live happy life and work along to make the world a safe place for every one to live.

16. jadbannout says:

in my opionion, all of the people must respect each other and even all of the countries must too,because their will be a close connection to religions,people,and countries.even people might have more friends,and fights might be reduced,so people all of them might become all friends and to each other.

17. this is a very huge issue to talk about because in both religions they say to respect other

18. Kassem Harb 3rd hour says:

I agree and Christians and Muslims should get along better but when Terry Jones burnt the Qur’an and now lots of Muslim,s cant even look at Christians

19. Mrs. McBain says:

Danny,
    You have matured into a wonderful young man. I enjoyed reading your article. Sounds like you found your way and have great ideas. Keep it going…