Issues, Opinion, Religion

Wearing a scarf makes me feel like a pearl

37 Comments 03 June 2013

Khansa Alhaidi

Khansa Alhaidi

By Khansa Alhaidi

According to dictionary.com, a hijab is a traditional scarf worn by Muslim women to cover the hair and neck and sometimes the face. I feel this definition doesn’t give the real meaning or the true beauty of a hijab. To me, a hijab is a scarf that Allah commanded women to wear as a way of protecting themselves from the eyes of strangers. A hijab is worn to cover the true beauty of a woman so that it is not shown to the unwanted eyes of by-passers. It is the most important factor in becoming a real and true Muslim, though most people tend to put it off.

I started wearing a scarf when I was nine, feeling that it was something I wanted to do to get close to God. I was mature for my age and was especially fascinated with Isalm, the religion I followed. When learning new information, I gained knowledge in the love Allah had for women as to command them to cover up to be protected from the average person as a pearl is protected in its shell. Wearing a hijab is a choice I grew up loving, never once regretting. When wearing a scarf, I feel as if I’m safe. It’s a shield, though some may not think so. I feel comfortable and I know that people respect me knowing I wear a scarf.

I was reading some articles on the hijab when I came upon a story about why Islam asks women to cover up. The story is about a conversation between a non-Muslim man and an Islamic cleric.

Then non-muslim man asks, “Why does Islam oblige Muslim women to wear hijab?”

While answering the question, the cleric takes out two candies. He unwraps one of them and throws them both onto the floor. He asks, “If you have to choose, which candy will you pick?”

Like any other person, the man answers ,“Of course I’ll take the wrapped one, because it’s the clean one.”

After the man replies, the cleric gives him the answer. “Indeed. In Islam, we protect our women through hijab.”

I believe that this story makes clear why Muslim women wear hijabs.

Women in Islam are treated as pearls. The cover-up is like a shell, only to be opened to show the real beauty that lays inside.

If a woman is free to dress as she wishes, why shouldn’t she be free to cover up? Women in Islam are not oppressed. It is their decision to wear hijab, and it is their freedom to follow their decision, isn’t it?

The beauty a scarf holds cannot be explained. It’s something that when explained leaves you with so much to say. You would’t be able to explain the feeling unless you are wearing a hijab. It’s the shield that guards us. Allah said in the Quran in surah Nur ( Surah 24) verse 3;

And say to the believing women that they restrain their eyes and guard their private parts, and that they disclose not their natural and artificial beauty except that which is apparent thereof, and that they draw their head-coverings over their bosoms, and that they disclose not their beauty save to their husbands, or to their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands or their sons or the sons of their husbands or their brothers, or the sons of their brothers, or the sons of their sisters, or their women, or what their right hands possess, or such of male attendants as have no sexual appetite, or young children who have no knowledge of the hidden parts of women. And they strike not their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may become known. And turn ye to Allah all together, O believers, that you may succeed.

Wearing a hijab is probably the best thing a Muslim women can do in her life. Some people would disagree with me, but that is because they haven’t felt what it is like to wear a hijab. A hijab to me is true beauty. It is worth to me more then you will ever imagine. I wouldn’t ever change my mind about this. It’s what makes Muslim women the pearls in Islam.

1. ali hammoud says:

Wonderful story, Khansa. Your hijab really shows how you respect your religion and beliefs.

2. Mustapha Jaber says:

Really great story, i liked how you used the example of the wrapped and unwrapped candy.

3. Susan says:

This story is really meaningful. It’s great you’re proud of your religion and proud to wear a scarf.

4. Fatima Bouhamdan says:

awesome job! i love the part of why women wear scarves

5. Ahmad Aoun says:

I like your story and how you explained what the hijab means to you.

6. Hani Jahaf says:

I like the part that you said that a man asked why do women wear a hijab and the muslim replied islamic cleric takes out two candies. He unwraps one of them and throws them both onto the floor. He asks, “If you have to choose, which candy will you pick?” so the man chooses the wrapped one because its clean. so the man said thats how we respect our women through hijab

7. Mitchel Ayad says:

what you said about the scarf in your own def. was perfect i loved the story

8. Ali Farhat says:

9. Laila Sareini says:

I agree you look like a pearl, regardless of the scarf!! Amazing story i really loved the points you hit!

10. Ali Farhat says:

nice story i really enjoyed the way you put the story together and how you said it all together.

11. Tahani Smidi says:

i like your story really really nice, it explains what a scarf means to the people that dont know what it means.

12. I love your story and the candle explanation was awesome…

13. Houssein Ajrouche says:

I totally agree. The hijab is very important for a girl to wear.

14. Kareem Jrab says:

I personally liked your article. I appreciate your situation and i liked the fact that you included a very good example about the candies and the wrappings. Its very creative. “The sun doesn’t lose its beauty when covered by the clouds. The same way beauty does’t fade when wearing a hijab” Thank you for your inspiring article.

• Khansa Alhaidi says:

Thank you so much. It means a lot to get this amazing feedback. I love your example about the sun and the clouds.

15. wow! thats a great story and yes some people do disagree because they havent tried it to feel the wonderful experince.

16. Hanin Elhagehassan 3rd hour says:

I completely agree that hijab protects you from the wandering eyes of strangers. I also agree with the ‘A hijab is worn to cover the true beauty of a woman so that it is not shown to the unwanted eyes of by-passers’ part. This was an amazing article, you did a really good job.

17. Zeinab says:

This was a great story. The story with the 2 candies is one of my favorites!

18. Jana says:

The example you gave about the unwrapped and wrapped candy showed a different view on what a hijab means. That would probably change anyone’s mind about the hijab. I myself,after reading your article, actually changed my mind a bit about the hijab in general.

19. Jana Ibrahim- AAB Beirut,Leb says:

• Khansa Alhaidi says:

Haha in a good way or bad. That example about the candy is by far the greatest way to show what Muslim women mean in Islam

20. rami jaroudi AAb lebanon says:

I really enjoyed reading your article and you gave really good examples why girls should wear a hijab.

21. m&m's says:

your essay was interesting and legal . what you are saying is true.hejab is very important to waer becauuse its sunna. if i was a girl i wear a hijjab . it let you like a pearl, protected. When you decided to wear at 9 it was good.

22. Aya-AAB-Lebanon,beirut says:

Your article was very fascinating,creative,convincing,inspiring,and free-thinking

I certainly agree with you and,In my opinion,I think that it was a very good example of the concept why girls should wear hijab and muslim girls should think more like you.
    You really changed my point of view of about the beauty of hijab and in which way I should think of it.People should be closer to islam and Allah not farther.

• Khansa Alhaidi says:

Thank you so much.
      I totally agree with you, a hijab is worn to get closer to Allah & it has such immense beauty.

23. Leena Alhawati 6th hour says:

Khanss you did an amzing job in this article, I 100% agree with on everything and I certainly believe it protects you and your defenition made not regret wearing a scarf. Great article.

24. Leena Alhawati 6th hour :0 says:

Khansa you did an amzing job in this article, I 100% agree with on everything and I certainly believe it protects you and your defenition made not regret wearing a scarf. Great article.:)

25. Hadi Hamade 7th hour says:

I like the way you talked about how you like to wear your scarf why can all islamic girls feel this way.

26. Huda Alsheeblawy 6th Hour says:

Khansa you did a terrific job stating your opinion and I would not agree with you more. The way you made your story flow all by itself was amazing. A scarf is something important and you have proved that. You are very proud to be an Islamic girl and others should too.

27. jad doueik says:

the story was amazing its her decision to wear a scarf.

28. i like that khansa alhaidi expline that a hijab is a traditional scarf worn by Muslim women to cover the hair and neck and sometimes the face. and i agrea with khansa alhaidi that womens should were scarf if they went

29. good story; I really liked your story and I like when you said about the non-muslim man asks, “Why does Islam oblige Muslim women to wear hijab the cleric takes out two candies. He unwraps one of them and throws them both onto the floor.then he asked him watch when well you pick .the non muslim man picked thewrapped one, because it’s the clean one.”

30. Zeinab Farhat 5th Hour says:

Khansa you did an amazing job I love the way you explained the importance for wearing a scarf this is one of my favorite articles good job.

31. jadbannout says:

everyone has his own opinion in wearing a hijab.I acknowledge your opinion in wearing a hijab,but I dont know really about It. so what you think to you is best.

32. Mariam Amin says:

I agree 100% about the part that says what the scarf really is. Wearing a scarf does cover a woman’s beauty from un wanted eyes. I also agree with how you feel closer to god when you wear a scarf. I agree with that and it makes me feel good to know that I am not the only one who feels that wearing a scarf means more than just a covering.

33. Amani Kady says:

I agree that wearing a scarf is something that god had asked us to wear. Also I love the candy example that you said wearing a scarf is like two pieces of candy.Wearing a scarf to me is everything.